Terms and conditions
These terms and conditions are in two parts. Part I outlines the terms under which Metaname (a business unit of Amiton Ltd, referred to in this document as "Metaname", "we", "our" or "us") does business with you, the registrant (referred to in this document as "registrant" or "you"). Part II outlines the core responsibilities and obligations that are common to all domain name registrars and registrants.
- Payment for registration and renewal of domains under your profile will be deducted from your Metaname account. If sufficient funds are not available in your Metaname account, we may disallow registration or renewal of domains and/or provision of other services at our sole discretion.
- No deduction nor set‐off against any amount due is permitted.
- We have the right to suspend, cancel, withhold, limit, restrict, replace or terminate the services we provide you at any time, and for any reason. Except as otherwise specified in these terms, we are not required to give advance notice of exercising this right. In the event that we exercise this right, we will provide you with the reason. If suspension or termination is due to a breach of these terms, no refund will be provided.
- We may update these terms and conditions at any time.
1. The Registrar’s Obligations
We agree that we will:
- comply with all .nz and international domain name policies and accurately represent these to you;
- disclose accurately and completely all our terms and conditions associated with your use of our services to register and maintain a domain name sought to be used by you, including price and billing information;
- comply with your lawful directions in a diligent and timely manner regarding your .nz or international domain name (for example, registration, cancellation, amendment, deletion, and associated technical support and billing);
- process any new .nz and international domain name registrations with the registry within 5 minutes from the time we receive all the information required to complete a registration;
- notify you of the registration of your domain name(s), including the details of: the domain name, your contact details, our contact details, the registration period, the unique authentication ID for your domain name and your obligations as a registrant;
- arrange for correction of any error in the information in the register about any domain name registered to you when requested;
- provide to you, or to someone we reasonably believe to be acting on your behalf, the unique authentication ID for your domain name when requested and for no charge;
- use your personal information only as authorised by you;
- take all reasonable steps to safeguard and protect all information about you stored in our databases and systems;
- comply with any order of any authority having jurisdiction regarding any domain name registered to you;
- use our best endeavours to deal with any complaints you may have about the services we provide for you.
2. The Registrant’s Obligations
You agree that you will:
- comply with the .nz policies. You agree that you have read and understood the current policies;
- make sure all information you give us is accurate and complete, keep us informed of changes to any information you give us, and that you have the authority to enter into this agreement;
- keep the unique authentication ID for your domain name and any other security information that we give to you confidential, safe and secure;
- satisfy yourself that your use of a domain name will not infringe anybody’s intellectual property rights and protect us, and everybody we are in any business relationship with to provide services to you, from any such claim;
- ensure that you only use our services for a lawful purpose;
- ensure that the use of any domain name registered to you does not interfere with other users of the Internet;
- ensure that any order of any authority having jurisdiction regarding any domain name registered to you is complied with;
- protect us, and everybody we have a business relationship with, against any legal action taken against us because of the receipt or use of our services by you or someone you are responsible for, including reliance by us or anybody we have a business relationship with, on information supplied by you.
You agree to make sure everyone you are responsible for or who uses a domain name registered to you also meets the above duties.
3. Registration of a Domain Name
When a domain name in the .nz or international domain name space is registered to you, or in your name as directed by you, then you agree:
that the following information becomes available to any member of the public:
- your name
- your contact details, and
- the domain name, its commencement and expiry dates and addresses/details of the nameservers for it, and our name.
- the domain name is registered in your name only because no other person has it according to the records of the register; and
- neither we nor anybody else is representing anything else to anybody regarding that domain name. The entry of a domain name in the WHOIS database shall not be taken as evidence of anything other than such registration; and
- that you protect us and everybody we have a business relationship with to provide services to you, from any claim arising out of the domain name being registered in your name or as you direct.
4. Register is the Record
For all purposes the details shown in the register shall be treated as correct and the authoritative record.
5. Payment of Fees
- You agree to pay for the services we provide for you.
- We may alter our fees from time to time. When we alter them we will send you notice of the alteration 30 days before the new fee takes effect.
- Our usual fees are for domain name registration services. We may also charge for hosted services or professional consulting services provided by us. We will tell you before any additional charge is incurred.
- Our prices are stated in NZD and exclude GST.
- We reserve the right to charge interest and recovery fees on all accounts not paid within 30 days of incurring charges.
6. Suspension And Refusal To Supply Services
If you do not pay our charges for a domain name registered to you we may:
- cancel registration of that domain name; or
- refuse to provide a service that you request.
7. Cancellation of a Domain Name
We may cancel the registration of a domain name registered to you as a result of you not paying our charges relating to that registration.
8. Exclusion of Liability
We exclude all liability we may have to you for any claim except where we have acted in bad faith. This exclusion also applies for the benefit of:
- InternetNZ, the registry and any other entity we are in any business relationship with;
- every officer, employee, contractor, agent of us or any entity in clause 8.1;
- anyone else we get to perform our duties under any agreement you have with us.
None of the persons specified above is liable or has to pay you for anything else in connection with or resulting from anything any of us does or does not do, or delays in doing, whether or not it is contemplated or authorised by any agreement you have with us.
This exclusion applies whatever you are claiming for and in whatever way liability might arise.
This exclusion does not prevent you getting a court order requiring us to do anything we have agreed to do for you and does not limit any rights you may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
9. Limitation of our Liability
We have excluded all other liability we or any of the persons specified in clause 8 may have to you. If any of those persons is ever liable to you and, for any reason, cannot rely on the exclusion of liability set out in clause 8 then this clause applies.
Where this clause applies, the maximum combined amount the persons specified above (together) will have to pay you and anyone else who uses the services we provide for you (together) is the amount of the last month’s fee paid by you under this agreement.
10. Law and Jurisdiction Applying to this Agreement
Unless we otherwise agree in writing, this agreement contains all the terms of our relationship and continues to apply no matter where you are located at the time any of the services are provided or where you reside. This will be the case until this agreement is cancelled except to the extent clause 14 says otherwise.
To the extent legally permitted:
- all our services are provided under New Zealand law;
- any claim or dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement must be instituted within 60 days from the date the relevant service was supplied to you;
- except as otherwise stated, you may take action against us only in a New Zealand court;
- where you or any registrant for whom you act supplies incorrect information regarding a domain name and we incur cost in any matter concerning that name then we may recover the costs incurred by us from you.
11. Cancelling the Agreement
- We may cancel or suspend this agreement by giving you one months notice if you do not meet your duties to us.
- We may end the agreement for any other reason by giving you one month’s notice.
12. More Than One Person
You are responsible for everybody who you permit to act for you as a registrant. We will take reasonable care to satisfy ourselves that you have permitted those persons to act for you.
13. Each Clause Separately Binding
Each clause of the agreement you have with us is separately binding.
If for any reason we, you, or any of the persons specified in clause 8 cannot rely on any clause, all other clauses of it are binding.
14. Rights and Responsibilities that Continue
The cancelling of any agreement you have with us does not affect any rights and responsibilities, which are intended to continue or come into force afterwards. These include the rights and duties under 2, 4–10, 12–13, and this clause 14.